knit together

My local knitting group is soon celebrating its 5th anniversary. I have not been there for all 5 years, rather i think this is the 3rd year for me. It is funny because we are a very diverse group and most of us don't' really see each other outside of Monday nights, yet it is a family in a very real sense.


I have come to somewhat depend on Monday night. No matter what is happening in my life, how crabby and antisocial I may be all day, I am transformed by just being in a coffee shop with a group of dear friends. For that couple of hours- the real world is of no concern. It exists only for comic relief since we all have real world issues to deal with. For that couple of hours, I am not Mom, I am not dutiful wife (debatable whether I am at knitting or not), nor am I a puppet of the corporate giant. I am myself. I cannot describe the freedom that holds- just being myself.


Comments

Popular Posts